Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First Picture

There she is. We've got our work cut out for us, eh? The details will be fleshed out in future posts I'm sure, but I'll give a few details now.

First, the silver section used to be an open recessed porch. Although I'm already plotting how to open the porch back up, my plotting is complicated by the fact that behind that silver wall is a nice two-sink vanity in a bathroom that is currently twice the size of the original-house-with-porch bathroom. In the words of someone who was familiar with the house before the bathroom was expanded, "That room was just a nasty hole." So, it's aesthetics vs. modern comforts - a conflict that I'm sure we'll face repeatedly in this adventure. My vote is for aesthetics, but I suspect I'll be outnumbered on some issues - particularly the bathroom vs. porch issue.

Second, yes, the left chimney is in sad shape. See last week's post about the masonry contractor. (A second one is coming this Friday.)

Third, the poor house needs trees. Badly. There are lots of trees on the property, but they are almost all along the creek (just behind me when I took this picture).

Interior pictures are probably a couple weeks away yet, but I'll try to take some pictures of the creek when we're back with more contractors on Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it looks just like a post card! Can't wait to see the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice...how many acres is it on? is this house near bucyrus? cant wait to see more! you are probably very busy!! Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie, it's on 7.1 acres. And it's no closer to Bucyrus than we were before. But for this house we're willing to keep up the drive. I wish we were busier at this point! But the house won't be in our name for another 2-4 weeks, so we're mostly just waiting. (Although I did start cutting out patterns for curtains last night!)

    ReplyDelete